7 Wonderful Piano Songs from the Classic Rock World

I love the piano and enjoyed taking piano lessons when I was a child.  When I went to college I attended all the recitals I could fit into my schedule, especially when pianists were the featured performers.  But I also love the way piano has been used in rock and pop music.  It creates a very special sound that has brought joy to millions of listeners.

Rock and roll is a very guitar-focused music style.  Where would it be without the piercing twang of electric guitars and the thunderous boom of the bass guitar?  Perhaps we would have a more acoustical music heritage.  But piano music is acoustic and it has been embraced by rock, jazz, country music, and music of all styles.


Here is my tribute to some of my favorite rock or jazz songs that feature pianos.  Some of these pieces are written for the piano.  Some of them are full-featured sets that include great piano solos or wonderful contributions from the keyboardists.

Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" first made me aware that the piano could have a profound influence upon the rock generation.  I wish I had been there to enjoy the song when it was first released.


One of the most beautiful songs from the classic rock era must be Styx' "Lady".  When I first heard this song on the radio I was entranced.  I wish it was still given the same airplay today as when it came out.  This is a live performance from 1978 with a very colorful introduction.
Billy Joel is known around the world as "the piano man" in great part because of his signature song.  This video shows him performing in the very early days.  His skill with playing harmonica and piano at the same time is remarkable.
Eric Clapton is known as a major guitarist who has influenced many other performers.  His acoustic arrangement for "Layla" is one of the most beloved songs of my generation but I find that I miss the piano solo at the end.  This concert footage shows Clapton performing with Phil Collins.  The wonderful "piano exit" is included at the end.
Every woman's heart melts when she hears "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" by Simon and Garfunkel.  This is the signature song for true love from the classic rock era.  Here is a live performance.
Van Morrison's jazz-rock fusion style also inspires Christian music.  But he has written some of the most romantic songs, some with a slight naughty pagan feel.  "Moondance" features a beautiful piano throughout.
You cannot talk about classic rock and piano performances without mentioning Rick Wakeman.  He, along with Keith Emmerson, was considered one of the greatest rock keyboardists of the 1970s.  I think "South Side of the Sky" shows why Yes had such a devoted following for many years.