Natural Remedies for Mild and Severe Ailments

Allergy season is upon us and I feel these old bones aching already.  I am not really that old but when my immune system goes on the warpath the inflammation makes me feel so very old.  I don't yet need to treat a respiratory infection but our allergies can quickly pass from mere annoyances into full-blown bronchitis and pneumonia.

I am fortunate to not have food allergies but I have been thinking about changing the way I eat (again) because I am concerned that the regular wheat bread I love may be causing me some problems.  Scientists don't yet have evidence to show that glutens harm people but the question of how glutens affect our digestive system remains unresolved.  I don't pay much attention to the gluten-free community but I do sometimes appreciate a non-wheat bread.

What we eat is always important because food affects our health in so many ways.  Food also affects our bodies' abilities to heal themselves or fight off severe disease.  My family has been cancer-free but I do believe it is important to learn how diet may affect your struggle with cancer.  We don't need to simply eat healthy; we need to eat the right foods to help our bodies.

Here are a few foods that I know are good to eat in moderation when we are feeling ill.

Berries - These delicious little fruits are not merely packed with antioxidants, they have been shown to provide many different benefits.  The healthy benefits of berries is a great article that lists a lot of scientific articles about berries.  Each link is followed by a short summation of what the article tells you.

Berries are one of the foods recommended by nutritionists for people with inflammation.  I love eating my berries.

Chicken and poultry - I love chicken soups and turkey soups.   I believe turkey soup is as good for you when you are feeling ill as chicken soup.   I especially love turkey soup after the holidays because I usually have so much turkey left over from big family meals.

Chicken soup is one of the most frequently recommended foods for people with colds and flus, but did you know you should also eat chicken soup when you have any viral infection?  Poultry-based soups have strong anti-viral properties.

Dark honey - Did you know that the darker your honey is, the more antibiotic strength it has?  Well now you do.  Good honeys to eat when you're not ready to visit the doctor for antibiotics include Buckwheat honey, Dark Forest honey, and Manuka honey.

Never cook your honey as that destroys the antibiotic properties.  It's okay to add a little honey to your tea.  Take about 1 teaspoon in the morning and another in the evening.

Don't eat honey throughout the day as it can irritate your gastrointestinal tract.  You should only eat as much honey as is necessary.  If you are truly sick you should see a doctor.